Watershed Location: This dam is located on the Magnetawan River in the Town of Burk’s Falls. It controls a drainage area of 989 km².
Structural Characteristics: The dam is owned by the MNRF and operated by Bracebridge Generation. The structure is a concrete gravity dam with 2 stoplog spillways and 1 sluice gate.
In Service Date: Unit 1 – 1985
Unit 2 – 1985
Capacity: 1.12 MW
History: Local woodworking industries first used Burk’s Falls as a source of power in 1885. At the Burk’s Falls Dam, the Magnetawan River, which rises in Algonquin Park and flows into Georgian Bay, drops 28 feet. In 1904 a rock-fill crib dam was built across the river. The development was reconstructed in 1923 and new generating units were installed. The plant was owned and operated by Knight Brothers Ltd. a woodworking firm. In 1950, when the municipality became associated with the hydro system, the Burk’s Falls Generating Station was acquired by Ontario Hydro. Continuing in operation for another decade, the 245 kilowatt development was retired from service in 1960. The existing plant was constructed in 1985 utilizing the existing intake with a new penstock, turbines and generators. Bracebridge Generation purchased Burk’s Falls GS in 2005.