Over one hundred years of local municipally owned electrical generation. In 1894, the Town of Bracebridge established itself as the first municipality in Canada to own and operate a water-power electrical generating station.
Lakeland (Bracebridge) Generation is a subsidiary company of Lakeland Holding Ltd as of 1999. The company is wholly owned by the municipalities of Bracebridge, Burk’s Falls, Huntsville, Magnetawan, Parry Sound and Sundridge.
Bird’s Mill when purchased produced 84 kilowatts of electricity, streetlights and new customers quickly utilized the facilities ability. A second turbine was added that pumped water up a main street watermain.
Bracebridge Falls GS began producing 300 kW, a second turbine and generator were added in 1905 producing an additional 300 kW.
Wilson’s Falls GS began producing 600 kW as Bracebridge’s 3rd powerplant.
Cascade Street GS construction was completed and the new facility had a capacity of 1200 kW.
With the post war increase in electric power demand a new plant at High Falls was constructed, able to produce 800 kW it satisfied the needs of the town until the utility connected with the Ontario Hydro grid.
The Ontario governments deregulation of the electricity system forced changes to utility structure. Bracebridge Hydro divided it’s hydroelectric assets into Bracebridge Generation and Parry Sound Hydro to Parry Sound PowerGen.
In July of 2014, Bracebridge Generation and Parry Sound PowerGen formally merged companies.